Saturday, September 20, 2014

Architecture in the Limestone

In my formal research of Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte, I found this article on the architecture of the building. I wanted to take a look at the building from an expert eye so that when I had come to visit, I could understand all that I see here.

I learned three important facts that stood out to me:

1. The main apartments are located on the first level thus removing the need for a grand staircase to lead you into the bedrooms.

2. One definition of architecture is "the underlying structure of something" and this is a concept I have learned about in my architecture and society class. I am happy to note that in the mid-17th century, architects of all kinds were embodying this definition. "The underlying principles of the layout were that the formality of the chateau required a corresponding formality in its immediate surroundings and that the landscape should be the creation of human reason, making use of all that perspective, proportion and a subtle touch of optical illusion could confer."  Simply put, the garden surrounding the castle was laid out specifically to show the grandeur of Vaux-le-Vicomte while simultaneously keeping a human nature need for homeliness and serenity.

3. Traditional French influence is kept in this turn of the century castle by implementing delicately painted and exposed beams in the opening hall.

Dunlop, Ian"Vaux-le-Vicomte." Grove Art OnlineOxford Art OnlineOxford University PressWeb.21 Sep. 2014.<http://www.oxfordartonline.com.ezproxy.lib.utexas.edu/subscriber/article/grove/art/T088353>.

No comments:

Post a Comment